Re: [Bulk] fedora-list Digest, Vol 57, Issue 191

Message: 9
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 20:27:16 -0600
From: "Mikkel L. Ellertson" <mikkel infinity-ltd com>
Subject: Re: USB boot on a Toshiba notebook
To: "Community assistance, encouragement,	and advice for using
	Fedora." <fedora-list redhat com>

DB wrote:
> Evening All,
> > I have a Toshiba Equium A60-692 and would like to try F10 without
> destroying Mr Gates's "image" on the HD.  I've run the Live CD - very
> impressive - but would like to try say setting up an F10 on an external
> USB-HD or a modifiable USB stick.  Sad thing is... Toshiba-san decided
> that his bios will only accept HD, CD, or USB-FDD as boot
> possibilities.  Does anyone have an idea how I can fiddle the stick or
> external HD to make it look like a USB-FDD????
> > Thanks for any ideas! > > Dave >
It may be just funny BIOS labeling. Try creating a bootable USB
device, and see if your system will boot from it.

Mikkel
--
Hi Mikkel,

Thanks for the idea... but it doesn't appear to work.

On my Toshiba, I select "boot from FDD" & the system comes up in XP - from the HDD.
On my desktop, I can select either USB HDD or USB FDD, it worgles about a bit &.... comes up with Fedora 9 from the hard drive.

My USB stick is 2 GB, & I used the Livecd-to-USB program from the Fed10 page.  According to Gparted, the stick is formatted Fat32 & flagged as Boot.  And only has the 2 live cd folders on it.

Is it possible that the bios chokes on the size of the partition??

Cheers

Dave