Re: Packages without source?

James Wilkinson wrote:
Bill Davidsen wrote:
It appears to be compiled in some "safe" configuration, with no mmx, sse, etc,
and is dog slow. I attempted to compile the source from the original
site, but that will not compile with the current FC9 or 10 gcc.

Bryn M. Reeves wrote:
It may be worth filing a bug but there could be sound reasons why this was chosen by the maintainer.

For example, there are i686 machines with no MMX, SSE or any other SIMD
instructions, and Fedora still supports these.

There may be a reason to have a version compiled i386, but given that Intel and AMD CPUs have been i686 (1996), and mmx dates back to the original Pentium (says Wikipedia), having the 386 version the one and only version available seems to miss the vast majority of users. Anyway, my intent is to have a version which will capture video at a reasonable rate, and the old source I have will do that, but it won't compile after about gcc 2.96 or so, leading me to a desire for a newer source which will compile on versions from this millennium.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen tmr com>