Re: some feedback on fedora 10

Tom Horsley wrote:
On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 17:37:34 -0800
Russell Miller <duskglow gmail com> wrote:

Wait, is this the boot time "plymouth" stuff you are talking about?
All I've ever seen on any system was a lame progress bar (3 colors,
but still lame). I've really wondered what all the plymouth hoopla
was about. It can sometimes do more than a progress bar? (Not that
I care much, one of the first things I always do is remove the rhgb
option so I can actually see information on the screen if something
goes wrong).

From what I read, it's supposed to set the graphics mode properly on startup, so there's no flicker as X changes the mode.

Also from what I read, for almost everyone it's a step backwards, as only one card is supported, and it won't even be in the mainline kernel until 2.6.29.

Which basically means on this one, we're all highly experimental guinea pigs.

--Russell