F10: no dpms default?

Here's an oddity: After switching to f10 I noticed my
monitor was never turning off. I checked "xset q" and
it says the dpms settings are "0 0 0" (which disables
dpms).

Anyway, I've put a "xset dpms 0 0 600" in my startup
scripts and should be OK now, but I'm not sure why
the default seems to be different.

(Perhaps something to do with not running either gnome
or KDE, but I wasn't running them on F8 either and still
got dpms turning off the monitor).