Git vs. Subversion. Which one?

Michael Semcheski mhsemcheski at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 14:34:51 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 4:32 PM, Nifty Fedora Mitch
<niftyfedora at niftyegg.com> wrote:
> RCS has one key advantage.   The current text is present in the file
> and in a pinch you can quickly edit the file to recover your source.
> No SQL no special file system hooks.   Some licensed systems require you
> to have a current license to see your code or migrate your code's history
> to another system.

I think this is one of the most useful points about RCS (and CVS).
The repository is useful by itself.  With git or svn, the files are
stored as binary objects, and it is not plainly obvious how to get
from binary back to the head version in the event of repository
corruption or some other disaster.

There may be a mode like this for SVN, but to my knowledge it is not
the default.