Using all of 4GB RAM... questions and Vista versus Linux...

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 16:17:07 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 7:54 AM, Linuxguy123 <linuxguy123 at gmail.com> wrote:

> [SNIP]
>

> Questions:
>
> a) On machines that do not allow PCI remapping, is the processor
> physically disallowed from accessing that 4GB of RAM ?  Ie have the
> address lines from the processor been disconnected from that RAM due to
> being connected to the PCI devices ?
>
> b) How do XP and Vista handle this ? Are they limited to 3GB of RAM
> too ?
>
> c) I am running the 32 bit version of Linux.  Would it make any
> difference to my RAM access if I ran the 64 bit version ?
>
> Thanks

Maybe someone can word this better than I but here it goes. The memory limit
is not really tied to the OS "TYPE" (i.e. Windows XP/Vista, Linux, etc) but
more to the architecture (32-bit vs. 64-bit). As far as I'm aware, all
32-bit OS's will have this limitation and all 64-bit OS's will not. You can
get Windows XP, Vista or Linux in both 32 and 64-bit flavors.

So to answer your question (c), yes, if you switch to a 64bit version of
Linux you will be able to use all 4GB.

Richard