Re: Using all of 4GB RAM... questions and Vista versus Linux...

On Wed, 2008-10-01 at 12:13 -0500, Roger Heflin wrote:
> The chipset is not capable of remapping under certain conditions, or
> the bios
> won't do it because it would cause lower memory availability with
> windows.  Some
> bios can only remap entire dimms, and that would result in less memory
> for a
> 32-bit only OS so they don't do it even though it would result in more
> memory
> for a 64-bit/PAE os.
>

> > b) How do XP and Vista handle this ? Are they limited to 3GB of RAM
> > too ?
>
> In the case of a bios limitation they would also be limited to only
> 3GB.

Here is the spec sheet for my laptop.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01490775&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=3747924

It says:
"Memory 4096 MB Memory Max Up to 4GB DDR2 (Up to 1 GB may not be
available due to 32-bit operating system resource requirements)"

This machine ships with a 64 bit version of Vista.  I didn't think to
check what the available memory was under Vista.  I don't have it
installed anymore.