Changing ftp client timeout?

I've got some users with Linux systems who are getting timeouts when trying to connect to a busy ftp server. Using Filezilla, I can connect just fine if I up the timeout from 20 seconds to 60. I've been trying to find out how to do this with the native Linux ftp client (installing Filezilla isn't really an option), but all I can find via Google is how to do this for the ftp server, which doesn't help.

Regards,

--
Patrick Baldwin
Systems Administrator