[Fw: Cambridge (F-10) Beta release announcement]

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Fri Oct 3 04:49:13 UTC 2008

Tim wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-10-03 at 10:54 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
>
>> Yeah, I really get annoyed when someone truly thinks they are being
>> helpful and once in a blue moon they forward information they think is
>> helpful and feel others may not have heard.  :-) :-)  Time to appoint
>> a moderator to stem this tide.  :-) :-)
>>

> Now is the time to make sure that it doesn't become a tide, and that a
> certain person doesn't forward every single announcement about
> something.  Seriously:  Stop forwarding announcements.  And the rest of
> you join the other list, too, if you want that extra information.

It is a ripple in a pond.  These lists have been around for more than a
few years and it would have become a tidal wave by now if it were a real
and not an imaginary problem.

More emails have passed here on this than forwarded announcements have
in past 6 months....I suspect.
> Maybe I'll just start forwarding any other bit of information that I
> feel people just ought to know about.

Sounds like a good idea.  I feel you would make an informed decision on
what the community may find interesting and they may have not heard
about and may be of value to them.  I've got 0 problem with that.  And,
guess what, that has happened in the past and I can't recall anyone
jumping up  and down and railing about it.

The last one I remember, maybe not spot on, is someone announcing an OSS
mail system.  There were a few "thank you" emails but I can't recall
anyone objecting to it.  Had it not been brought to my attention by that
person I would never have known about it or checked it out.   I think
that is great.

This concept of everyone has to know about all the fedora lists and join
them and never forward information from one list to another is just,
IMHO, silly.  Not to mention that no matter what FAQ are posted every
month and no matter what *rules* and *regulations* are proclaimed there
will always be new users that won't/haven't read them yet...or will
think some of them silly and ignore them....  Some folks here act as if
anarchy is breaking out and the whole world order is collapsing when
someone top posts....

--
Lieberman's Law: Everybody lies, but it doesn't matter since nobody
listens.