Re: How to change the display manager from GDM to SLIM?

On Fri, 2008-10-03 at 09:48 +0200, Kennet R. Iversen wrote:
> I have tried to get slim to start as my login manager instead of gdm,
> but everything I have tried so far has not worked.
>
> I have installed slim via yum and then tried the following approaches:
>
> First I tried to put the following line in /etc/X11/default-display-manager
>     /usr/bin/slim
>
> That did not work. Then I tried to put this line in /etc/inittab:
>     x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/slim >& /dev/null
>
> This did not work. I then tried to put this line in /etc/sysconfig/desktop
>     DISPLAYMANAGER="SLIM"
> and then added these to lines in /etc/X11/prefdm just after the
> GNOME/gdm part:
>     elif [ "$DISPLAYMANAGER" = SLIM ]; then
>         preferred=/usr/bin/slim
>
> This did not work either. I have not been able to find a solution that
> works. So, how do I change the default display manager from GDM to SLIM?
>
> Any suggestions are welcome
> Kennet

Never heard of slim, but "yum info slim" says:

"In fedora, slim may be called through a wrapper, slim-dynwm, which
determines the available window managers using the freedesktop
information and modifies the slim configuration file accordingly, before
launching slim."

poc