IRC classroom sessions

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri Oct 3 16:49:59 UTC 2008

Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> We have been working to improve IRC based support for Fedora of late,
> and one of the ideas was to start up some classroom type sessions to
> teach/show specific things for interested folks.
>
> See: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/IRC
> for more information on IRC.
>
> Toward that end, I thought I would post here and see if I can gather a
> feeling for general interest for the idea and some thoughts about
> sessions that would be well attended.
>
> Feel free to reply directly to me...
>
> 1. Would you be interested in attending a classroom session on IRC?

Love to, timing is important though, I can shift my work day more easily than
evening meetings with people who are locked into 9-5.

> 2. What sessions would be of most interest to you?
>
> Some examples:
>
> a. How to get involved in Fedora
> b. Pulseaudio and Sound
^^^^
> c. Demo's of new Features coming in the next release.
> d. Basic desktop usage
> e. How to file a good bugreport in bugzilla.redhat.com.
> f. How to make a rpm package.
^^^^
> g. Upgrading and Reinstalling tips and tricks
^^^^
> h. Learn how to Triage bugs
> i. Selinux and security features.
^^^^
> j. iptables and firewalls
^^^ should be able to contribute to that somewhat
> k. kvm and libvirt tips and tricks.
^^^^
> l. Other: please explain.

A lot of people don't know how to compile a kernel (and many shouldn't)
so some examples of getting the unused features out to reduce build time
would be useful. Also how to apply patches.

How to create and maintain a local repository would be useful.

Syslog - use of central syslog servers, and writing logs to pipes so
other programs can watch them in real time.

> 3. What general times would be good for you to attend a classroom
> session? Weekends? Weekdays? Weekday evenings in the EDT timezone?

Weekday afternoons in NY time are good for me, AM is doable.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>