Re: playing mpeg has cone screwey.

> Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > OK, installing those extra rpms make totem work. But that leaves us with
> > two questions:
> > 1. Why did the displaying of the videos work until yesterday?
>
> I have no idea.
I have no idea either. But something is wrong with the uopdates it seems
to me.

> > 2. If these rpms are necessary to make totem work why are they not
> > installed as dependencies when totem is installed?
>
> By default, Fedora includes support for open and non patent encumbered
> formats via gstreamer and xine. The additional codecs are included in
> other third party repositories and they are optional. Fedora cannot
> include them for well known reasons as I have explained in length to you
> before.

All of that would be fine if you did not tell me to install rpms
supplied by Fedora to make totem work. I understand why you can not
supply propriety codecs but why can't the rpms you told me to install be
suppled by default. They are not propriety.