gdm does not execute PreSession PostSession scripts

Trapper trapper at ledduk.net
Sat Oct 4 11:20:56 UTC 2008

> On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 1:45 PM, Paul Johnson wrote:
>> I've noticed that the customized gdm PreSession/Default and
>> PostSession/Default scripts that I've been using for years in Fedora
>> 1-8 no longer run on a system that recently upgraded to Fedora 9.
>> There have been many changes in Fedora's gdm this time, no more
>> gdmsetup program and such, but as far as I can see in the
>> documentation, the scripts are supposed to run still, but they don't.
>>
>> It appears to me that neither PreSession nor PostSession is executed.
>>
>> You can see for yourself if you put something simple in PreSession/Default like
>>
>> echo "whatever" >> /tmp/checkingOnGDM
>>
>> It simply appears as if GDM is by passing the scripts altogether.
>>
>> It is important to me to know if we are just a few isolated people for
>> whom this does not work. I mean, does it work for nobody, but most
>> people don't try?  Or does it work for some people?

I have this added to my PostSession/Default to shut down a running
instance of POPFile when a user logs out.

lynx -dump http://127.0.0.1:8080/shutdown &>/dev/null

POPFile does shut down when I log. If I comment the line and then log
out and in as a different user that doesn't utilize POPFile, it is still
running.

So, the experience I am having suggests to me that PostSession/Default
does execute. This is in F10 and F9.

Maybe it has something to do with the custom commands you have? I know
that when F9 was released I had to revamp a couple of little scripts
that I automatically ran at login because paths to specific things in
the scripts had changed from F8.

Trapper