More RAID-1 problems

Jeffrey Ross jeff at bubble.org
Sat Oct 4 19:46:43 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:
> jeff at bubble.org wrote:
>>
>> I extracted the initrd file and looked at the file "init".  in this file
>> I can see the following (relevant) information..
>>
>> echo Creating block device nodes.
>> mkblkdevs
>> echo "loading raid1 module"
>> modprobe -q raid1
>>

> Don't you need a "modprobe md" before this?  Did you build this
> configuration with the installer or have you copied a working system
> to a different machine?

Not sure if I need the modprobe md first, I thought (incorrectly?) that
when you load a module it loads all the required modules with it.

This was a system converted to a RAID 1 setup a while back, after the
raid was configured I had rebuild the initrd with the following command:
mkinitrd --preload=raid1 initrd-2.6 ......

The exact method I used can be found in this message I sent to the list
about a year ago:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/rhl-list/2007-June/msg06369.html

Jeff