pine for FC9

Robert Holtzman holtzm at cox.net
Sat Oct 4 21:19:09 UTC 2008

On Sat, 4 Oct 2008, Bill Davidsen wrote:

> Robert Holtzman wrote:

>>> Livna but it is obsoleted by Alpine which is under a free and open source
>>> (Apache) license.
>>
>> The University of Washington has dropped development of Alpine and laid off
>> most, if not all, of the developers. Check the Alpine mailing list
>> archives.
>>
> What's your point? The source is still available, the license is okay, why
> don't you want to use it?
>
> This is not a fast moving target, I ran one version I built from old source
> on various machines for almost a decade. If there's a real need for fixes I
> suppose it will move to sourceforge or similar, otherwise it's in a bunch of
> distributions and usable as is.
>
> I'm not sure there was a need for development other than a load of creeping
> featurism, it is what it is and does well those things it does at all.

I do use it and pine before that. There are always bugs and security
holes in any app. Unless Alpine is picked up by someone else where do the
fixes come from? The post from Mark Crispin said any further development
would come from the user community. That may be O.K. but I'm unconvinced
since I don't have the ability to detect problems with the code.

--
Bob Holtzman
A day without fusion is like, a day without sunshine