why the IPV6 looking hostname prior to reboot?

Fred Silsbee fredsilsbee at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 5 21:43:52 UTC 2008

Having DHCP from my ISP,            I did:
(1)

127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain localhost localhost
127.0.0.1               abc777
::1             localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6

(2)
/etc/sysconfig/network to:

NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=abc777

(3)
in: /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

# 3Com Corporation 3c905C-TX/TX-M [Tornado]
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
HWADDR=00:b0:d0:16:1c:01
ONBOOT=yes
NM_CONTROLLED=
DHCP_HOSTNAME=abc777

(4) then:

localhost (root) ~ [1008]>service network restart
Shutting down interface eth0:                              [  OK  ]
Shutting down loopback interface:                          [  OK  ]
Disabling IPv4 packet forwarding:  net.ipv4.ip_forward = 0
                                                           [  OK  ]
Bringing up loopback interface:                            [  OK  ]
Bringing up interface eth0:
Determining IP information for eth0... done.
                                                           [  OK  ]
localhost (root) ~ [1009]>hostname
x1-6-00-b0-d0-16-1c-01                   IPV6????

BOTTOM LINE: I rebooted and got:

abc777 (root) ~ [1000]>hostname
abc777

                  BINGO!

what I wanted! I suppose I must disable IPV6!

There are a few places where this change is required (as I remember)