F9 KDE4 running ssh-add at login

John Horne john.horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Mon Oct 6 09:42:53 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-10-05 at 19:39 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
> John Horne wrote:
> >
> > I am running Fedora 9, with KDE4, and am trying to get ssh-add to prompt
> > me for my passphrase when KDE starts up. Actually it does prompt me, but
> > the problem seems to be that it never remembers the passphrase. I always
> > have to manually run 'ssh-add' from the command-line, and then enter the
> > passphrase.
> >
> > I see that others have had a similar problem (and not just Fedora
> > users), but none of the solutions work. I have tried adding a soft link
> > to 'ssh-add' in the ~/.kde/Autostart directory; I currently have a very
> > small shell script that calls '/usr/bin/ssh-add' in the Autostart
> > directory; I have also tried these solutions in the ~/.kde/env
> > directory; and finally I have tried using ksshaskpass, which also did
> > not work, but as far as I can tell this only works for KDE3 at the
> > moment.
>
> ~/.kde/env should work (so should ksshaskpass, afaik).
>
> ~/Autostart (afaik) only works for .desktop files.

I have used a small shell script in the Autostart directory for the past
several releases of Fedora, and it has worked fine. If the use of
'Autostart' has changed (which is perfectly possible), then it is
something recent.

The site I looked at for ksshaskpass
(http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php/Ksshaskpass?content=50971)
states:

    A KDE 4 version of ksshaskpass is in the works.

and the current version depends on "KDE 3.x". Hence I assumed the
currently available version is for KDE3 only.

John.