Re: F9: Nautilus weird behaviour for icons

On Mon, 2008-10-06 at 16:39 +0200, Joachim Backes wrote:
> Some weird effect in F9: whem skipping through my Desktop folders with
> nautilus, then the icon for .pdf files is sometimes the iconified
> first page, sometimes a small clock. The same happens for .sxw .odt
> documents.

The clock is the "wait a moment, while I create the icon" indicator.
Eventually it should disappear to be replaced by an thumbnail picture
that represents that particular file, or something more generic for the
type of file.

> Can somebody tell me why nautilus does not use each time the same
> icon?

When it makes a thumbnail, it stores the image inside ~/.thumbnails/.
It usually does use the same image that it's previously created, but
perhaps there's a reason why it recreates them (e.g. the file's
apparently changed content).  The thumbnails seem to be associated with
the files with some sort of hash.  I don't know if it's a hash just
based on the original file content, or includes filenames and paths as
part of the equation.

--
[tim localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.26.5-45.fc9.i686