"yum erase <some kernel>" does not remove /lib/modules/<some kernel>. Why?

Joachim Backes joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de
Mon Oct 6 18:09:58 UTC 2008

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Joachim Backes wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I saw that "yum erase <some-kernel>" does not remove the correspondent
>> /lib/modules/... entry. Therefore I had a lot of stuff (from fc7, f8,f9)
>> in this directory. How can I achieve that "yum erase <some kernel>"
>> removes /lib/modules/<some kernel> too? Or, are they needed for the future?
>>
>> Regards
>>

>> Joachim Backes <joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de>
>>
> Are there just a few modules, or all of the modules? If there are
> just a few, are you using non-Fedora modules that are built after
> the kernel in installed? There are several packages that build their
> own modules when you install a new kernel, but they are not listed
> as being dependent on the kernel package.

Hi Mikkel,

I'm using the nvidia video driver, VirtualBox and Vmware server, so
/lib/modules/... contains the correspondent nvidia or vmware and/or
virtualbox modules. It seems that this is the reason for no removement.
The yum behaviour sounds reasonable.

Thank you for clarification.

Joachim Backes

--