multimedia keys stopped working

oleksandr korneta atenrok at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 02:30:48 UTC 2008

hello,

I've rebooted my f8 desktop today (which I do rather rarely) and
discovered that my multimedia keys suddenly stopped working. Since I
have everything configured in  ~/.Xmodmap I decided to just rerun
"xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap", but it did not help. I launched xev and was
surprised to find that the multimedia keys which I've been using for at
least 2 years now produce no keycodes whatsoever. Instead, the keys not
detectable before (a row of 6 keys numbered from 1 to 5 plus a star,
presumably browser bookmarks) produce the keycodes 183, 184, 93, 131,
247 which are unknown to me.

my keyboard is Microsoft Wireless Laser Desktop 6000 v2
(http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Wireless-Laser-Desktop-69A-00001/dp/B000H14IDC/ref=cm_cmu_pg_i)

and I would be very happy if someone could tell me what package I have
to remove in order to bring things back to normal.

the only relevant thing updated recently, which I see from "rpm -qa --last"

is the kernel update to
kernel-2.6.26.5-28.fc8
kernel-headers-2.6.26.5-28.fc8
kernel-devel-2.6.26.5-28.fc8

thank you in advance

--
regards,
Oleksandr Korneta

I'm running F9 x86_64 and F8 i386 on x86_64 hardware, should this matter.

/The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from./