Kaffeine codecs

kwhiskerz kwhiskerz at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 06:15:07 UTC 2008

=?UTF-8?Q?Joonas_Saraj=C3=A4rvi?= wrote:

> I'd recommend against bypassing package management. And also against
> installation of binary-only codecs (Isn't the tarball essentially the
> infamous w32codes package?). Especially when there is very little
> content that can't be decoded just with the open source decoders from
> livna.org.

Interesting. I seem to recall having tried that and NOT being able to access some multimedia file, but I can no longer say for certain. I will try in Fedora 11, I guess, as I already have my setup for Fedora 10. It would be better if you were right, of course, as it is one less hassle to deal with.

Even if the codecs are not required for xine, as a xine nonfree package is supplied by livna, what about mplayer? These codecs are actually intended for mplayer and there is no livna mplayer nonfree package that I ever recall having seen.

So, why are these codecs infamous? I have been using them for years and have had very few multimedia complaints, compared to all of the laments I have read accompanying every new release of Fedora and the alleged lack of multimedia support.