Reboot every 1 hour, 19 seconds

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at panet.co.yu
Tue Oct 7 15:43:58 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 07 October 2008 12:22, Rodolfo Alcazar Portillo wrote:
> On October 2, 10:00 we had a power outage (I turned my PC on at 17:00).
> Since then, my Fedora9 is rebooting approx every hour and 19 seconds.

You don't happen to have a hard disk failing the smart test, do you?

I had those exact symptoms (except in my case reboots were not so perfectly
regular, but varying from 45min to 2 hours) and when I looked at the logwatch
report mail, I found smart screaming away the "hard drive failing --- BACKUP
DATA NOW!!!" mantra on a regular basis. I had no important data on it, but it
was shared on the web, and whenever someone starts to read some file beyond
some point a reboot occours instead of the read-write error. Once I unmounted
that drive (I didn't bother to disconnect it physically) the reboots stopped.

I still don't quite understand what was going on, but it doesn't anymore and
I'm happy. :-)

OTOH, maybe your problem is not related, but it can't hurt to check
anyway. :-)

HTH, :-)
Marko