Re: umask problem with yum/rpm?

David Jansen wrote:
> Am I missing something, or is this a bug in either yum or rpm (on Fedora
> 8):
>
> Root's umask is set to 077, so files created by root are by default only
> readable by root. Safest setting, so quite ok.
> Now root runs an rpm or yum command to install or update files. Umask
> setting is not used for the files extracted from the rpm, those get the
> permissions as stored inside the package. But root's umask appears to be
> in effect for the scripts that run from the rpm.
>
> Most notably: various files in /usr/share/mime become inaccessibel to
> normal users after root manually installs updates. Similarly, after the
> last update of tetex, files like /usr/share/texmf/ls-R were only
> readable for root.
>
> Updates installed through the cron jobs, yum-updatesd, don't seem to
> suffer from this problem.

I think where you are running into problems is the difference
between root's environment when you log in, and the environment when
cron jobs are run. Remember, when executing a cron job, none of the
login scripts are run.

You will also find that some RPMs set the permissions of files
regardless of the umask.

Mikkel