Wow.

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Oct 7 20:55:30 UTC 2008

Alan Evans <ame.fedora <at> gmail.com> writes:
> It's just that in this case, I didn't expect updating subversion to
> pull in a new version of openoffice! And sendmail???

If packages A and B both depend on library L and if Rawhide has a newer version
of L with a different soname major version (the number which indicates which
versions of a library are binary-compatible with each other), then you cannot
update package A without updating B, even if A and B are otherwise completely
unrelated (because updating A drags in L which drags in the updated B because
the newer L is no longer compatible with the old B - dependencies work both
ways in this case). If L is a core system library, there can be a lot of
packages like B.

        Kevin Kofler