kernel development approach for fedora

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Oct 10 20:23:33 UTC 2008

Mail Lists wrote:
>    While that is true, the argument goes that large periodic releases
> has drawbacks too - and the kernel seems to be do pretty well with its
> approach ... I still wonder whether the kernel way may work for fedora ..

Linux kernel development model is pretty unique and very distributed. It
can't be readily compare to any other project. There are several
different parallel branches - linux-mm, linux-next, linux-staging etc
that feeds into the Linus branch.  New releases come out every 3 months
or so. There is a initial week merge period followed by a stabilization
period. Even with the short release cycle, the number of patches is
exceptionally high.  The nature of development for distributions is
primarily to act as a integration point for upstream projects. I doubt
it will work well for Fedora.

Rahul