Linux Fedora Error Number 15 : File Not Found

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 13:14:09 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-10-12 at 05:01 -0700, Jyotishmaan Ray wrote:
> Dear All Fedora Linux Experts,
> Sinc yesterday one of my proxy servers is not booting up after a
> system retsart, and it throws an error message "Error 15: File Not
> Found Press any key to continue"
> I had tried with rescue CD, still it could not be resolved though the
> system could be mounted but nothing proceeded beyond this.
> Give some pointers to solve this problem.

That error means that the GRUB boot loader can't find the kernel file at
the location shown in its configuration file.  Either the declaration
for the root disk partition, or the kernel file name, is wrong
in /boot/grub/grub.conf on your system, or somehow the kernel file it
points to has been removed or renamed.

If you booth with a rescue disk and mount the system, you can make
sure /mnt/sysimage/boot is mounted, then "chroot /mnt/sysimage", and
check and edit the contents of /boot/grub/grub.conf as needed for your
configuration.

--
Paul W. Frields