Missing KDE panel, kicker and background

While trying to fix a problem with Ktorrent (see separate post) I
updated kdebase-workspace and friends from
http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=65974.

I no longer have the panel or kicker, and my desktop background has been
replaced by a checkerboard pattern. I tried "rm -f
~/.kde/share/config/plasma*" as recommended by Rex a while back, but it
didn't do any good.

I can back these updates out I suppose, but other suggestions would be
welcome.

poc