ftp problem

Gerhard Magnus magnus at agora.rdrop.com
Sun Oct 12 23:10:33 UTC 2008

I'm running FC9 on a small LAN that also has some Windows machines. I'd
like to use one of the linux boxes as an FTP server so that the Windows
systems can access a directory on that server. None of this has been
opened to the world outside by opening port 21 on the router -- it's
strictly "in house." Eventually I'll learn Apache, but FTP looks much
simpler for what I'd like to do. (Or so I thought :) Here's what I've
done, following instructions in www.fedoraguide.info:

(1) installed proftpd on the server
(2) added these lines to the end of the /etc/proftpd.conf file:

<Anonymous /home/magnusg/music/>
 User            ftp
 Group            nogroup
 UserAlias          anonymous ftp
 DirFakeUser on ftp
 DirFakeGroup on ftp
 RequireValidShell      off
 MaxClients         10
 DisplayLogin        welcome.msg
 DisplayFirstChdir      .message
 <Directory *>
  <Limit WRITE>
   DenyAll
  </Limit>
 </Directory>
</Anonymous>

(3) on the server, used system-config-services to enable proftpd on run
levels 3 and 5
(4) /etc/init.d/proftpd restart
(5) on the server, used system-config-firewall to make FTP (with
Port/Protocol = 21/tcp) a trusted service
(6) the permissions for the ftp directory look like this:

drwxrwxr-x 17 magnusg magnusg  4096 2008-09-14 18:29 music

But when I try using filezilla from a Windows box, logging in as
anonymous of port 21, I get these messages:

220 FTP server ready
331 anonymous logon OK...
530 unable to set anonymous privileges
530 login incorrect

So I seem to be connecting, but not much else. Googling the error
message leads to others who've had similar problems but (at least so
far) no one with a solution.... Thanks for any tips on how to proceed.

Jerry