Re: Missing KDE panel, kicker and background

Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan <at> gmail.com> writes:
> I no longer have the panel or kicker, and my desktop background has been
> replaced by a checkerboard pattern. I tried "rm -f
> ~/.kde/share/config/plasma*" as recommended by Rex a while back, but it
> didn't do any good.

Actually, there's one thing you can try doing. It won't help you out of the
mess of mixed F9 and F10 packages, but it might fix the problem you're having:
Make sure Plasma is NOT running while you do your rm -f, otherwise it will
write back the old broken files when it quits. Some ways of doing this:
* run "kquitapp plasma" first or
* log in as some other user, e.g. root (that way, Plasma will run, but not as
your user) or
* log into some other type of session, like GNOME or even plain old runlevel 3.

        Kevin Kofler