Grub Issue

I am trying what used to be a typical scenario for me, I need to dual
boot between XP and Fedora and I had XP installed on the first 100gig
partition of my sata drive, then tried to install the F10 Beta with /boot
in sda2 and / inside lvm on sda3. Grub never appears though, so I booted
into the rescue mode and tried the usual, entering grub, specifying root (hd0,1)
then setup (hd0) which still never worked, so I then tried grub-install /dev/sda
which still didn't work?

Any ideas why grub doesn't even appear? I recall the /boot needing to be at the beginning
of the disc an old legacy requirement an no longer an issue (I think this is how I setup
my systems before anyway?).

Thanks!
jlc