RE: Grub Issue

>It is just a guess but I think your grub boot MBR is at the beginning
>of sda2.  Regardless you need to know what is in the MBR so I refer
>you to:
>
>http://mirror.href.com/thestarman/asm/mbr/GRUB.htm   (and do a search
>for "dd if".  The whole article is rather interesting I think)

Funny you mention this? I was in the rescue mode after the second attempt failed
so knowing I couldn't read the mbr legibly with the tools on the rescue disc, I
did a #dd if=/dev/sda bs=512 count=512 | less and did see the important part:
"GRUB Geom Hard Disk Read Error" in the garbled text. This lead me to believe it
was there but maybe busted?

The next posters solution was the trick!
Looks like the beta is broke slightly for this scenario.
Thank you for the web link, that was good reading!
jlc