Re: F9, computer won't boot after updates & hibernation

Matt Morgan wrote:
I have an MSI Hetis 915 with an Intel Pentium 4 3.0Ghz running F9. I don't reboot it very often; mostly I hibernate. Probably it's been a month or more since my last full reboot.

Last night I shut it down, for no reason except it felt like it had been while. This morning it installed a lot of updates--a lot of KDE stuff, etc.; I wasn't really watching. I locked the screen and left it alone for a while to complete the updates, and it hibernated after 30 minutes like it's supposed to do (that's how I have it configured).

Now it won't boot at all. I've shut it down, unplugged it, etc. and although the power light comes on and the fan starts up, no activity really takes place. It doesn't even beep to indicate power-on. I've tried booting off a CD, but it doesn't get to that point. I can't get into the BIOS, even.

Any ideas? Could this even be anything to do with Fedora, or so I just have some hardware issue all of a sudden?

Sounds like you have a hardware issue, but it may well be caused by shutting down the system at a bad time. If you can't even get to BIOS you have some serious issue, that should be independent of any software. What comes to mid is some firmware update interrupted in mid-install.

Having a system hibernate during updates is probably slightly unsafe as a general thing. I have the feeling that "idle" is not always defined as I would like it, lack of user input and idle are frequently not the same thing with Linux.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen tmr com>