Bash/Awk/Sed email list

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Wed Oct 15 03:45:51 UTC 2008

On 14Oct2008 18:02, aragonx at dcsnow.com <aragonx at dcsnow.com> wrote:
| I have been toying with the idea of creating a scripting mailing list.
| Does anyone know if one already exists?

Yes. It is here:

Please join that list; it could do with some more active members.

Making yet another list another would be a BAD idea; it fragments people.
I'm very glad you asked first; plenty of people blithely go and make yet
another list resulting in a zillion tiny and disconnected groups.

| If not, is it a good idea?

Well, there is also a sed-users list:
and an AWK group:
  http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.awk
for more specific questions.

| If so, would you use it?

I _do_ use them!

| If so, should it be an email list or a message board?

Always a list. Message boards are a deeply bad idea. A mailing list
comes to you; a message board must be visited. A mailing list lets _you_
choose the message editor (mutt, thunderbird, elm, evolution, etc). A
message board forces the browser's dumb-as-bricks textarea editor on the
user. And so on.

Plenty of pleace like google and yahoo present their lists with a
message board interface as well for the unenlightened. But a list is
essential!

| There does seem to be a lot of scripting questions on this list.  Perhaps
| a more appropriate place should be created or advertised?

Advertise: