Grub and Chainloaders

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Oct 15 08:17:31 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-10-14 at 15:24 -0700, Dan Thurman wrote:
> Thinking that the chainloader +1 was not finding the right
> partition, I assumed that +1 means to locate the next partition,

No, it's to do with how it reads *that* partition.

13.3.4 chainloader
------------------

 -- Command: chainloader [`--force'] file
     Load FILE as a chain-loader. Like any other file loaded by the
     filesystem code, it can use the blocklist notation to grab the
     first sector of the current partition with `+1'. If you specify the
     option `--force', then load FILE forcibly, whether it has a
     correct signature or not. This is required when you want to load a
     defective boot loader, such as SCO UnixWare 7.1 (*note SCO
     UnixWare::).

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.26.5-45.fc9.i686