X display sharing fails (xauth)

Joe Smith jes at martnet.com
Wed Oct 15 14:40:46 UTC 2008

Joe Smith wrote:
> Any ideas what broke, or suggestions for getting my old configuration
> working again?

Ack. You know, I've had so few real problems with F9 that I've gotten
totally rusty and dusty with age here. Cobwebs in the attic.

What's the first thing you check when a system that's been working fine
suddenly stops working? Disk space. My /var was full. No space left on
device. No can make lock file.

Would've been nice if the error message had mentioned that little
detail, but I should have checked.

I know, I know, disks don't run out of space anymore. You can't fill one
up before it's time to get a bigger one. But I like to keep my /var on a
partition. I've had silly things go wrong and fill an entire hd with the
same log message. Of course that was 10 years ago when it took a few
minutes to fill a disk like that. Now it would probably take a few hours.

Oh well, embarrassing, but easy to fix.

<Joe