Re: Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11 forwarding. (solved)

On 10/15/2008 08:36 PM, Aldo Foot wrote:
On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 1:48 PM, Jerry Feldman <gaf blu org> wrote:
I am using Fedora 9 on an IA64 workstation. When I ssh -X to another host,
the ssh authentication succeeds in under a second, but the X11
authentication takes about 20 seconds and issues the warning:
Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11 forwarding.

Not sure whether this will help, but it's worth a try:
Find out the hard coded path of the xauth binary in the sshd executable.
  > strings `which sshd` | grep xauth
the above command should show a line like "/usr/bin/xauth", take note
of whatever
path you see.
Add a line to your /etc/ssh/sshd_config to read "XAuthLocation /usr/bin/xauth".
Restart sshd and see what happens.

First, the issue is NOT ssh at all. In any case, I've been experimenting. I was able to log out of the console. This removed the /var/run/auth-cookie-XXIIWBJU-for-gaf. I then logged into the server from my (ugh) Windows XP box with Exceed (X server) and putty. I then performed and 'ssh -X'. There was absolutely no delay. From the log and running xauth, it appears that GDM is locking the auth cookie.
[gaf boslc01 ~]$ /usr/bin/xauth list
/usr/bin/xauth: timeout in locking authority file /var/run/gdm/auth-cookie-XXIIWBJU-for-gaf

After googling on this specific message I found a solution:
1. the permission for /var/run/gdm is:
drwxr-xr-t  2 root gdm  4096 2008-10-16 08:20

2. After changing the permission to drwxrwxrwt 2 root gdm 4096 2008-10-16 10:14 gdm Xauth was able to successfully establish the lock. I checked my home Fedora9 system and it was set to drwxrwxrwt.

So, I think the problem is with the Fedora 9 installation on  IA64.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf blu org>
Boston Linux and Unix