services wizard

Dave Ihnat dihnat at dminet.com
Tue Oct 21 01:06:47 UTC 2008

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 05:10:27PM -0600, Phil Meyer wrote:
> There is no wizard, currently, for sendmail.  However, editing the
> /etc/mail/sendmail.mc file, and generating a good sendmail.cf with make,
> is almost trivial.

Almost.  A very scary word...

> The various, many, and often obfuscated, options for postfix
> configurations could, at present, never be managed in a GUI.

Yes, and no.  Not in a "step-by-step" GUI.  However...see below.

> I would state, without any desire to condescend or berate new users,
> that sendmail and postfix are not tools for users, but are considered
> administrative.

Indeed.

> An open email relay is almost always the result of uneducated tampering,
> and constitutes a clear and present danger to all who use the Internet.

Hmm...except, usually, the packages are sent out today with defaults
that don't provide open relays.

> For these, and other more well reasoned reasons, you may never see the
> types of tools a new user would need to set up an email server.

Well, not total noob tools.  But Webmin does give a rather decent
interface, some help, and prevents syntax errors that result in either
non-functional sites or open relays (unless explicitly configured.)
--
	Dave Ihnat
	President, DMINET Consulting, Inc.
	dihnat at dminet.com