Re: When will KDE4 get a desktop like in KDE3.x ?

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 1:02 AM, Chris Snook <csnook redhat com> wrote:
> Linuxguy123 wrote:
>>
>> Here is a comment from a recent KDE4.2 review:

>> The Desktop
>> Plasma has most goals listed for inclusion in KDE4.2, followed closely
>> by KWin. Currently Plasma behaves somewhat unstable and can crash while
>> managing the plasmoids. With the default "plasmoid" desktop setting, we
>> can add the plasmoids, but the files/icons are not supported, KDE3's
>> style.

>> http://polishlinux.org/kde/quick-look-at-kde-42-svn/
>>

>> Why can't we have files and icons on the desktop, ala KDE3.x ?
>
> Because you haven't implemented it yet.

Actually, you can put files on the desktop.  You need to drag them
from dolphin, or somewhere, whilst the widgets are unlocked.

Its not the same as putting files in your Desktop directory, but you
could always add a folder view of that directory to the desktop.