When will KDE4 get a desktop like in KDE3.x ?

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at panet.co.yu
Tue Oct 21 14:12:44 UTC 2008

On Monday 20 October 2008 23:50, Linuxguy123 wrote:
> Why can't we have files and icons on the desktop, ala KDE3.x ?

You can. Use folder-view widget, and point it to the Desktop folder under your
home directory.

However...

It could be argued that files and icons do not belong on the desktop, but
rather in home directory. It could also be argued that one should use a file
manager rather then desktop manager to manipulate files, while the desktop
manager should be better suited to manipulate the desktop. It could further
be argued that files and icons were already present on the desktop up to KDE
3.5 and that this was demonstrated to be a Bad Habbit, since the desktop
usually becomes cluttered beyond any usability after some time. Finally, it
could be argued that using plasmoids on the desktop rather than keeping icons
on it enhances its usability.

I know that forcing people to change their habbits is very painful in general,
invites a horrific amount of bitching and moaning, but --- as for example
with taking bitter-tasting medications, learning math in school, using
selinux --- it is for their own good.

I would suggest that you put some effort in getting yourself disciplined in
having a directory hierarchy under your home dir to put files, and put
plasmoids/widgets on the desktop.

OTOH, if you really really really absolutely need files and icons on the
desktop, use folder-view widget. After a while you might get interested in
having two or more folder-view widgets on the desktop showing the contents of
several different directories, and then you might apreciate the hard-work of
the KDE4 developers who made such a thing possible. In KDE 3.5 you are
limited to just one folder, just like for ex. in Windows you are limited to
just one desktop. Once you find out about the Better Way, you'll never look
back... ;-)

HTH, :-)
Marko