Update Problems

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Wed Oct 22 00:28:19 UTC 2008

Dave Feustel wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 04:08:19PM -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
>> Dave Feustel wrote:

>>> Thanks for this. I actually understand it!
>> Good!  :-)
>>
>>> There is an icon on the upper panel next to the date which, when I put
>>> the mouse cursor over it, displays the message "no network connection".
>>> As I mentioned in a previous post, the system stopped connecting at
>>> boot, and I got internet connectivity by executing dhclient. Obviously,
>>> that command by itself does not properly set network connectivity and
>>> I have not figured out yet how to fix the broken step in bootup.
>> Well, we still don't know if it's NetworkManager (NM for short) or if
>> you're using ye ol' network stuff.  My guess is it's NM (the "About"
>> will tell you).
>
> Clicking 'about' generates a popup identifying NM as Applet 0.7.0.

Well, that settles that!  :-)

>> If it's NM, then make sure "Enable Networking" is checkmarked (right
>> click on icon).  If it isn't then NM won't try to manage the network and
>> that may be where you're having issues.  If it's not checked, right
>> click on the NM applet icon and left-click on the "Enable Networking"
>> option.  Then wait a few seconds to see if it fires up.
>
> Clicking on enable networking produced an immediate 'Network
> disconnected' message. Then left-clicking produced a bunch of
> lines that listed a series of network devices (5) that had been
> disconnected. All the text is greyed out.

Ok, so right click on the icon and select "Edit Connections".  Select
the "Wired" tab (I'm assuming this is a wired connection) and click
"Add".  Another window should pop up where you can enter the appropriate
data.

If the window doesn't pop up, then edit the file called
"/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0".  Make sure there's a line
in there that says:

	NM_CONTROLLED=yes

If not, add it (or edit an existing line) and try a reboot.  See if the
network comes up this time.  If not, then you should be able do the
above stuff about editing connections, since NM is now controlling this
interface.

I rarely use NM myself as it has some, uhm, issues if you have a complex
network configuration as I do.
-     If one is what one eats, then I am fast, cheap and greasy!     -