Re: Wireless, Broadcom

Nifty Fedora Mitch wrote:
On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 02:52:30PM -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
Jeroen de Haas wrote:

There is a tutorial on setting up ndiswrapper on Fedora:
http://fedoramobile.org/fc-wireless/ndis-yum-livna . This text assumes
you have configured yum to use the livna repository (which does contain
the ndiswrapper packages) as explained in
http://fedoramobile.org/solved/post-install-solutions/yum-config/ .
I have very mixed feelings about using Windows drivers for much of anything, perhaps too many urban legends about an IRQ coming in while the driver is running in a privileged mode. There are new Broadcom drivers coming in the future, but at the rate I see progress that might be after the stock market gets back to 14000. :-(

An alternate solution, which I'm using, is to buy a USB wireless modem and use that. Clearly not the optimal solution, but one which avoids the issues with running NDIS drivers.

Which USB modem do you like?

I have had mixed results and some still require ndiswrapper or other tricks.

Sorry for the slow reply, I use a Linksys WUSB54C (that's all the info in lsusb, nothing on the invoice, package nong recycled). If I were using ndiswrapper I could use the built-in Broadcom b4310, but I'd rather not, at least for now.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen tmr com>