CUPS "Unable to get printer status (Forbidden)!"

I'm trying to use a printer attached to a USB port
on a remote machine, but I get the above message.
I can access the computer in question with
--------------------------------
[tim alice ~]$ telnet 192.168.2.2 631
Trying 192.168.2.2...
Connected to 192.168.2.2.
Escape character is '^]'.
--------------------------------

I suspect the problem is that the printer is not found,
whatever name I give to it.
I see
[Job 66] Unable to get printer status (Forbidden)
in /var/log/cups/error_log on the client machine.

Any elucidation gratefully received.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net