Re: CUPS "Unable to get printer status (Forbidden)!"

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 11:54:47PM +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I'm trying to use a printer attached to a USB port
> on a remote machine, but I get the above message.
> I can access the computer in question with
> --------------------------------
> [tim alice ~]$ telnet 192.168.2.2 631
> Trying 192.168.2.2...
> Connected to 192.168.2.2.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> --------------------------------
>
> I suspect the problem is that the printer is not found,
> whatever name I give to it.
> I see
> --------------------------------
> [Job 66] Unable to get printer status (Forbidden)
> --------------------------------
> in /var/log/cups/error_log on the client machine.
>
> Any elucidation gratefully received.

You may need to login to the printserver and
enable remote visibility and or access.  Things like "Allow remote administration"
and "Share published printers" and "Allow printing from internet"
may all come to play.

The fact that you see Forbidden in contrast to
"Connection refused" tells me that the printserver
is up and active.   The admin (you?) of that box needs to
enable the correct remote services.

I like to ssh into a remote box and with X11 remote display
run system-config-printer to set the property needed.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Found me a new hat, now what?