What are your unsatisfied NetworkManager use cases?

Claude Jones claudejones at tehogeeservices.com
Thu Oct 23 13:22:52 UTC 2008

On Wed October 22 2008 2:23:43 pm Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> Many people seem to have different issues with NetworkManager. I would
> like to attempt to assist with the progress of NetworkManager by
> collecting use cases which it does not cover at all or properly.
>
> So please reply with a use case that you have that is not covered, I
> will attempt to collect clarify and log them on the wiki (just
> reactivated my account).
>
> For my sake please do one use case per email.

on a Dell 600 Latitude
using the Broadcom 43
NM works great after some difficulty in sorting out which driver/fw package to
use
the BIG problem is when I make connections to BOTH the wired and wireless NICs
in my case, I have a Linksys router currently connected  to the wired nic that
is not connected to anything on the other end
the wireless connection is connected to my home network - when the wireless
only is connected, I get out to the net and all works well
as soon as I plug in the Linksys to the wired nic, the laptop gets confused
about routing and can't find the internet gateway - the linksys is currently
running a fresh install of Open WRT, and hasn't been configured

I've noticed this at work as well, where I have the option of being connected
to a wireless network outside the firewall, or plugging in to the network
behind the firewall on the lan - there seems to be no way to tell NM which
network to use in this case

I guess I'm looking for an option page where I can direct NM to use specific
routing in certain situations - if I go into the advanced settings page for
the wireless connection, on the ipv4 tab, there's a button called 'routes'
there, but clicking on it instantly closes the NM dialog

this may be my solution, and I need to file a bug, but, I haven't had the time
to look into it, or do so

otherwise, across multiple machines and different wireless chips, I find NM
getting better and better, and 'just working' by and large

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD