Re: What are your unsatisfied NetworkManager use cases?

On Wed October 22 2008 2:23:43 pm Arthur Pemberton wrote:

> Many people seem to have different issues with NetworkManager. I would

> like to attempt to assist with the progress of NetworkManager by

> collecting use cases which it does not cover at all or properly.

> So please reply with a use case that you have that is not covered, I

> will attempt to collect clarify and log them on the wiki (just

> reactivated my account).

> For my sake please do one use case per email.

on a Dell 600 Latitude

using the Broadcom 43

NM works great after some difficulty in sorting out which driver/fw package to use

the BIG problem is when I make connections to BOTH the wired and wireless NICs

in my case, I have a Linksys router currently connected to the wired nic that is not connected to anything on the other end

the wireless connection is connected to my home network - when the wireless only is connected, I get out to the net and all works well

as soon as I plug in the Linksys to the wired nic, the laptop gets confused about routing and can't find the internet gateway - the linksys is currently running a fresh install of Open WRT, and hasn't been configured

I've noticed this at work as well, where I have the option of being connected to a wireless network outside the firewall, or plugging in to the network behind the firewall on the lan - there seems to be no way to tell NM which network to use in this case

I guess I'm looking for an option page where I can direct NM to use specific routing in certain situations - if I go into the advanced settings page for the wireless connection, on the ipv4 tab, there's a button called 'routes' there, but clicking on it instantly closes the NM dialog

this may be my solution, and I need to file a bug, but, I haven't had the time to look into it, or do so

otherwise, across multiple machines and different wireless chips, I find NM getting better and better, and 'just working' by and large

--

Claude Jones

Brunswick, MD