CUPS "Unable to get printer status (Forbidden)!"

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Thu Oct 23 22:25:31 UTC 2008

Aaron Konstam wrote:

>> I'm trying to use a printer attached to a USB port
>> on a remote machine, but I get the above message.

> I suspect the printer on the print server is not set up to be shared.
>  Can other machines print to it?

Thanks for the suggestion, but the line
        Shared Yes
does appear in /etc/cups/printers.conf on the server.

I'll try printing from another machine.
At present this printer (an HP Photosmart C4280)
is out of commission - the paper feed is not working,
I suspect because building work has been going on
in the room where it is situated, and it got very dusty.

I do find CUPS error messages extraordinarily unhelpful.
This one, for example, seems to imply that there is some way
of determining the "printer status".
The only way I know is to run lpc on the server,
but this gives:
-------------------------------
[tim at helen cups]$ lpc
lpc> status
HP_Photosmart_C4200_series_USB_MY797KM03904VP_HPLIP:
        printer is on device 'hp' speed -1
        queuing is enabled
        printing is enabled
        1 entries