Re: Wireless communications.

Thanks Sam,
I figured it had to be something like that. I checked with Cisco and they have strictly windows drivers for the type of air card that I own. I was hoping that the fedora software would have some software built in but evidently not. Does someone know of a genereric software download I can use for a Cisco Aironet 340 PCI wireless card?

Thanks again Sam.

Bill

Sam Varshavchik wrote:
Bill Marcum writes:

Hi all,
I just started using Fedora / linux and I am having an issue with wireless communication. I installed Fedora 8 on my laptop; I have installed all of the updates available to this point. I am using an old Dell Latitude Laptop with a cisco systems wireless card. It works fine with widows it just doesn't seem to want to connect when I log into Fedora. I am probably missing something but I don't know what it is. The error that I am getting when I try to activate the card is that it is an invalid argument (8b06). One of the things that I am not sure about is how do I choose the type of wireless security I am using? The cables side of the network system works fine.

I am very familiar with wireless communications and I am pretty knowledgeable about the windows software but any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

You probably need to set up the firmware for your wireless card, presuming that your card is supported at all, in Linux.

To determine your wireless hardware, oost the output of 'lspci -v' -- just the part that references your wireless interface.