Lenovo ThinkPad T400: F9, F10b, or Wait for F10 final?

Christopher A. Williams chriswfedora at cawllc.com
Fri Oct 24 12:06:07 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-24 at 08:47 +0200, Tomasz Torcz wrote:
<snip...>
> > This new series ThinkPad has _both_ the notorious Intel e1000e Gig-e NIC
> > (the hardware of which a certain recent kernel bug has taken a likening
> > to eating) and the Intel IWL5001 series WiFi card. It also has ATI
> > graphics.
>
>   I  tried with rawhide first, but couldn't get graphical installation
> to work; Native, intel driver (I don't have ATI) would halt the computer
> on load, vesa driver showed only garbage on screen. Intel driver was
> fixed last week and I have F10 installed now.
<snip...>
> And suprisingly, almost everything seems to work. Even webcam, thanks
> to it beeing UVC. I havent tried fingerprint yet, but AFAIK libfprint
> doesn't have a driver yet -- this is new hardware, different from
> earlier Thinkpads. Wifi (AGN5300) works even better than iwl3945 from
> z61t -- it detects more networks and doesn't slowdown to 1MBps after few
> hours of use.
>
>   So go with latest rawhide, by installing from Snap2 or directly by
> download boot.iso and installing from network.

F10 x86_64 Snap 2 and then update to Rawhide it shall be then! I
appreciate it a lot - Thanks!

BTW, mine is slightly different - No camera, and Intel 5100 series WiFi
instead of 5300 (our procurement guy was totally on the cheap getting
these for us, grrrr..., but that's a story for a different time), but it
does have ATI graphics and the fingerprint reader. We also loaded them
up with 4GB RAM as we'll be using them to run VMs for demos and such.
We'll be running an implementation of VI3 3.5 via VMware Workstation 6.5
on a ThinkPad T400.

>   Oh, and for notorious e1000e bug - it was only lethal on i386, x86_64
> kernels were safe.

Good to know as well - I'll have to update my coworker who got one of
these too (although he's decided to run Ubuntu). He was sure it hit all
of the kernels.

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Chris

--
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today.

-- Charles Schultz