Re: Newbie issues installing switchdesk.

parchdtear wrote:
Hey! I'm a bit new to Linux - run Ubuntu at home and at school FC8. In class trying to get fedora core to switch from GNOME to KDE using switch desk I receive this: switchdesk KDE
bash: switchdesk: command not found

So I attempted an install.
yum install switchdesk
Setting up Install Process
Parsing package install arguments
No package switchdesk available.
Nothing to do

Again - I'm very new so I saw this suggestion and decided to try it - not sure of the difference.
yum -y install switchdesk
Setting up Install Process
Parsing package install arguments
No package switchdesk available.
Nothing to do

Really, I'm not sure what groupinstall does but that gives me:
Warning: Group switchdesk does not exist.
No packages in any requested group available to install or update

((I had used it on a classmates computer and he was able to get to KDE - I guess I'm not so lucky))

Really, I'm not sure where to go from here, every attempt of installation or moving on results in a missing dependency or something just not existing.
Any ideas?

$  sudo yum search switch

switchdesk.noarch : A desktop environment switcher for GNOME, KDE and
                 : AnotherLevel.
switchdesk-gui.noarch : A graphical interface for the Desktop Switcher.
system-switch-displaymanager.noarch : A display manager switcher for GDM, KDM,
                                   : XDM and WDM
system-switch-displaymanager-gnome.noarch : A graphical interface for the
                                         : Display Manager Switcher

$ sudo yum list \*switch\*

Available Packages
switchdesk.noarch 4.0.9-2 fedora switchdesk-gui.noarch 4.0.9-2 fedora system-switch-displaymanager.noarch 1.2-1.fc9 updates-newkey system-switch-displaymanager-gnome.noarch ... 1.2-1.fc9 updates-newkey ...

# yum install switchdesk switchdesk-gui system-switch-displaymanager system-switch-displaymanager-gnome

That should do it.

Good luck!