Fedora 9 Boot Problem

Seann Clark nombrandue at tsukinokage.net
Fri Oct 24 20:15:32 UTC 2008

g wrote:

> Seann Clark wrote:
>
>> I have to define, kt7-RAID, which I own a board with that on it, is
>>

> i bow to your knowledge as an owner.
>
> raid was not a feature that caused me to buy board, but did help. i need a
> faster board and wanted amd. cpu and board were a 'put together' deal and
> price was very good at time.
>

>> software assisted RAID. It does handle RAID in hardware, yes, but the
>> RAID itself does not boot off BIOS, allowing hardware control that isn't
>>

> if ide1,2 are non raid, can ide3,4 be used as true raid under linux after
> linux install?

under linux, with the HP370 driver loaded into the kernel, it will work
as a RAID that isn't managed or taxing the CPU. The HP controller will
take care of all mirroring and striping aspects leaving the CPU free to
do whatever else. So in a nutshell, yes it will look, for the most part
like a real RAID. The differences are that you actually boot off one of
the two-four disks off the HP370 controller and then loads linux and the
driver then loads the RAID then boots normally. It is a lot like Linux's
RAID, in that respects, save for the CPU saving ability.

>> Sorry about the sort of Rant but the board is designed for Windows with
>> linux as an afterthought.
>>

> no problem. some rants, as your, are beneficial to knowledge. for this
> i thank you.
>

>> Other than that it is a great board.
>>

> i was enjoying mine before it went down. when i have time, i will runs
> some checks thru power reg section to see it that is where it died. if
> other than that, maybe a new mainboard for chip.
It is a good board, but rather on the cheap side (I got mine for 50
bucks from what I remember in 2001) and I haven't seen any problems with it.

~Seann