Re: X over a reverse SSH tunnel

Tom Brown wrote:
Hi

I can ssh to my work PC, that runs Fedora, from home by using a reverse
ssh tunnel, this is because the VPN software does not work on Linux. Can
anyone explain to me how i can connect to the X server on the work PC from
my home machine by using the same reverse tunnel method? Ideally i'd like
to have it as simple as having a 'remote desktop' type affair.

You need to use 'ssh -Y ...' for most X programs.

I can install anything i like so would something like VNC work?

The nicest thing for remote GUI work is freenx, using the NX client that you can download from http://www.nomachine.com. You can connect using only port 22 so your firewall probably already permits it and remote performance is much better than vnc.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell gmail com